Monday, July 25, 2011

Heaven and Earth Chapter 13


In order to get a new job with the Americans, Le Ly had to provide a certificate of birth which she did not have.  She asked her landlady Hoa, and she set Le Ly up with a police officer to make her a birth certificate.  She got a job as a cocktail waitress and met another American named Paul, whom she saw regularly on dates for the next few months.  He moved into her apartment and continued to act as her loving husband, but he later left suddenly without telling Le Ly.

Friends


A few months later, she met Ed, an older American man who befriended her over the course of a week.  She did not love him or even particularly like him, but she felt sad at the thought of his leaving.  At the end of the chapter, he offered Le Ly marriage and a new life with him in America.




In a novel titled To Sir Philip, with Love by one of my favorite authors, Julia Quinn, Sir Philip proposes to Miss Eloise Bridgerton before even meeting her.  She agrees to a visit and quickly marries him, although they are in love, unlike Le Ly who does not exactly love Ed when she marries him.

"It's time for me to settle down, Le Ly--to quit pretending I'm going to live forever.  I've got another year in my contract and then I'm going home to San Diego--permanently.  I've got a nice house there and I've decided I want a wife to share it with me--a good oriental wife who knows how to take care of her man.  Le Ly: I want you to be that woman--to come back with me to the States.  If you'll have me, I want you to be my wife."

This excerpt from When Heaven and Earth Changed Places is Foreshadowing, which is the presentation of material in such a way that the reader is prepared for what is to come later in the work.  When I finished the book, I felt that I was missing part of her life, so I checked out Child of War, Woman of Peace, at the library and started reading it.  It was the continuation of Le Ly's life in America and explained her marriage and life with Ed.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about feeling like a part of Le Ly's life was missing from the book, I will have to get the sequel!

    ReplyDelete